Saturday, September 30, 2006

Scrappy Cakes

"Someone left the cake out in the rain
All the bright green icing flowing down...
I don't think that I can take it
Cos it took so long to bake it
And I"ll never have that recipe again..."

--McArthurs Park

I don't know what that song lyric has to do with anything except it's stuck in my head. Considering my recent post about SONG LYRICS STUCK IN HEADS I should probably take a deeper look within. But then, let's not get all psychological, shall we?

Instead, take a Gander at these Scrappy Cake Stand blocks I'm working on. As usual, I am working 'against season' because these candy box colors are more apropos of springtime than autumn leaves, frost on the pumpkin, and Goblins at the Harvest party...but I like them.

After all, October is not JUST about All Hallow's Eve, Columbus Day and Autumn Revels. It is also MY BIRTHDAY, all month long, and so I can make a Cake Stand Quilt if I want to!

Now, take a closer look at the two blocks on the upper right hand corner.

The Blue one is a different pattern entirely and it looked more like a fruit dish than a cake stand so I didn't make any more of those.

OOPS!


3 comments:

Janet said...

I actually like the "oops" square even it some points are going the wrong way! Kinda gives it character. As for the colors, they're beautiful. Spring is going to come rolling around again and you'll be all ready with the best colors.

Carole Burant said...

These are truly gorgeous...I even love the OOPS one! lol

Puss-in-Boots said...

I reckon you do better with springtime and summer colours in the cooler months. Fools you into thinking the warmer weather's just around the corner. Very clever quilting by the way!