Friday, July 14, 2006

All Things French

Have you ever thought about how if you stick the word FRENCH in front of something, it makes it somehow magic and marvelous and BETTER? I was thinking this when I was working on the pillow cases, and reflecting that I like to use a French seam because it is so much crisper and more tidy than a flat felled. Besides, how awful to think of something being Felled and Flat. But to be French!! Oooh-La-La! Of course we here in America do not currently favor the French, and they surely despise us, or at least our political Dictatorship...but I must always adore the things that have FRENCH in their name. French Doors. French Fries. French Onion Soup. French Seams. French Manicure! French Bread. French Cuff. French Dressing. French Braid. French Maid. French Knot. French Mustard. French Roll. French Pleat. French Toast. French Twist. French Roof. French Hen. If I see something that says French Hen, I just fall towards it like it has it's own gravitational field. This purse, for instance, found during a chicken-search on Google. Alas, I have no idea who makes it and sells it, but isn't it lovely?

My bathroom hen, given to me by a quilt circle friend, is not French, but your common White Leghorn layer. Even so, I have never been tempted to move her from her place of honor and turn her into a mere doorstop!

2 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hmmmm, you're right about putting "French" before things. It gives it a certain "je nas se quoi", right? We think we are getting something really special, and we are!

How about things like snails and frogs' legs, though. I don't think I could take to those. Eeww!

Miss Pink Ponsonby said...

Frog's legs? NEVER! But escargot! Ooo-La-La! Drowned in butter and garlic, you don't even notice that they taste like dirt and sea slime!