Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Global Chilling

This morning, smack-dab in the middle of summer in Sacramento, I was walking around shivering and grousing about how cold I was. My feet especially seemed ready to form into blocks of ice ready to be chipped off and put into a beverage. It's supposed to be in the triple digits in August in this corner of the holler, so I just could not get my mind around the temperature thing, even though it's been chilly like this for 2 or 3 days now. Then, *Whack*, a forehead smacking moment: Go put on SOCKS, you moron!

Then, I had another Light Bulb Moment (a dim wattage, to be sure, but still). Make HOT TEA. Even though it's August and I should be sweating like a pig at 9:30 in the morning.

Lately I've been checking out the links that some of my favorite bloggers have on their sites for blogs they read regularly. I am always looking for a good blog to read. I like to read blogs, it's just so wonderful to get that glimpse into someone's life and writing style. Of course I think some of those blogs out there are an aquired taste, and some of them are popular just because the same 18-20 people keep insisting they are a 'good read'. But those cursing, snark-spewing, vulgar women just annoy me and I can't appreciate their content when their language is so base. Do I really CARE that you like to fart? And tell people about it?

In my opinion, it takes something besides shock value to make your blog worthy of being read regularly and savored. So I thought I would talk about some of the blogs I have linked to my page, and why I like them so much. (I'll try to do a handful at a time, because I get so tired of fussing with the html: I always screw it up and have to redo it a dozen times.) Anyway: Feel free to drop by there if you don't already, and leave a comment. I know I LOVE to get comments, and I always wish I had more of them. Even if it's just to say hello and invite me over to your place. Where it's warmer. So I can put my sandals back on.

http://fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com/
This is a site I ran across while reading a couple of horse-related blogs. This lady is snarky, to be sure, but it's for a good cause: she can't understand why people keep breeding bad horses that end up in a soup pot.

http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/confessions_of_a_pioneer_/ Ah, the Life Bovineic! This lady isn't a pioneer, she's a Rancher's Wife with a good grip on her camera. I'm not fond of all the kid pics, but her husband is smokin' hot on horseback, and her recipes are well-illustrated and look delicious!

http://dawsongregory.blogspot.com/ This is my cousin's blog. She's a new Mommy with a very cute, pudgy, stunningly-photogenic baby boy. Her latest blog is all about Poop, so I guess that puts her in the Ranks of "Official Mommy Blogger."

http://www.bitchypoo.com/ Why oh Why do I love Robyn Anderson so much with her motley band of chickens, cats, rescue kittens, and her loveable, affable husband Fred? She cusses like a salty sailor and has a sour disposition on life, but I'm addicted.

http://peascorner.blogspot.com/ Dear, Sweet Pea! She's the exact opposite of Miz Bitchypoo, but just as addicting. Always baking, canning, growing and socializing, she seems to effortlessly make someone's day brighter, every single day! She never fails to post a birthday, send a card, acknowledge a shut-in. (Let's go kill her!)

http://xmastree2.blogspot.com/ This sweet lady is from all the way across the world in Australia, so it's always fun to see that she is in an entirely different season than I am! I can be boiling hot and check her blog and it's snowing/raining over there Down Under. She has lots of yummy vintage collectibles to look at, too!

http://flipflopfloozie.blogspot.com/ You've got to love her logo! flip-flops all over the place! Sandy is always full of sweet thoughts and tales of her family and her day-to-day experiences as a Christian woman. She walks her talk, and it makes for good reading.

http://www.jkbees.blogspot.com/ Sadly, like so many of the blogs I've read and enjoyed, Janet is going to take a break for a while from regular posts. However, her site is worth visiting and browsing around in the archives because she is an AWESOME artist, with an unbelievable style and 'eye' all her own. Most of the things she does that she considers 'doodles' I would view as frameable masterpieces. Pop over and see her and encourage her to follow her heart so she doesn't get overwhelmed. I know too well the pressure of 'having' to blog to keep up: it stunts your growth, ha ha!

http://soulemama.typepad.com/ Last but far from least, it's Soule Mama. This woman lives in Maine or some other frozen place (wear socks when visiting!) and she is an amazing crafter, mother, home-schooler, etc; I just love her photography and the glimpse into the life of a happy, quirky, creative-based family. Lovely!

2 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

If you were here in Savannah you would definitely NOT need socks!! It is about 105 this afternoon and HOT..Oh honey it is HOT!!! I don't talk about anything like you mentioned in your blog today and yes I visit a couple of those you talked about every day..good picks..Sandy

Carole Burant said...

Heyyyy I wanna live, don't kill me! LOL You're such a nut but I love ya anyway! hehe Goodness gracious, woman, I'm glad you finally thought of putting on socks and making hot tea to warm you up!! lol Isn't it fun to check out links to other blogs...never know what you'll find. I've been very lucky in finding great blogs to visit but if I add any more to my bloglines I'm going to have to spend 24 hours a day reading blogs! lol I'm now going to catch up with your other posts I've missed since my last visit:-) xoxo