Thursday, November 15, 2007

Save the Veals!!

I grew up in that magical, psychedelic era when people suddenly sprouted social causes like pinfeathers on a baby chicks back. What had been all dullness and conformity in the 50's, suddenly became wild and free and full of righteous anger, rebellion and expression. There were activists for women's rights, animal rights, Black Power rights, equal rights, free love rights, prisoner reform rights...and so many others that I can't even think.

Because it was all so new and so happening, it was often confusing. Like when my cousin Skeeter Jean thought that a 'Save the Whales' rally was actually a 'Save the Veals' protest. After all, what kind of hard life did a whale have when compared to the horrid confinement and ill treatment of those sweet little baby veal calves?

Or like when I found out we were supposed to be burning our bras. I had just gotten my first bra. I needed it. I didn't want to burn it! It was from J.C. Penney's and cost almost 5 dollars! My mom would KILL me if I burnt that bra.

Anyway. It's no surprise to me that for all these years I thought, when The Doors were singing "God-Damn the Pusherman", that they were actually singing "God Damn the Butcher Man!"

You know, like a Vegetarian's Theme Song. Ha, ha, ha! Save the VEALS!

4 comments:

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

I didn't know you or Skeeter Jean would need bras or had boobs when you were young. You were both so horribly tall and thin. Usually,that kind of thinness results in "mosquitoe bites"....

Miss Pink Ponsonby said...

You are a COOK GIRL and you don't know that our gene pool requires gigantic melonis? Have you ever seen a flat chested Cook past the age of 12? I think NOT!

Carole Burant said...

I needed a bra when I was 12 so ya, I couldn't burn mine either! lol Save the veals, eh? lol I really got a friend good the other day...she was going on and on about how she would never eat veal because it was from baby calfs. I said but you love beef so just because the baby calf has grown into a cow and isn't as cute anymore, it's ok to eat it then? She didn't know how to answer that. lol xoxo

Miss Pink Ponsonby said...

I know, that is such a good point! It's like we have so much excellant free medical care for babies and children in our society but once they turn 18 they are dumped. Valuable as a wee one but worthless as an adult? I'd think we would want to honor our adults a little bit more. But I'm a flaming liberal with a VERY quirky outlook on life!