Saturday, August 02, 2008

I'll Be the Xylophone Waiting for YOU

It's August, and a new month means a new table-top decor. It's one of my personal pleasures to arrange my table with a few of my likable things so it's the first thing I see when I walk into my kitchen each morning that puts a smile on my face. The fridge is the next thing, with the coffee pot or tea kettle being next.

Inside the pitcher is my collection of old wooden shoe trees for women. Some of them have little cloth covers on the tree part. I rarely see these anymore but for the most part I bought them for a quarter apiece. My antique stoneware gravy boat doubles as the butterscotch disk holder.


The book I am rereading for the umpteenth time is "An Hour Before Daylight" by our President Jimmy Carter. He is an amazing writer and this book reminisces all about his childhood days growing up in Georgia. It is funny and sweet and takes me back to the days when I, too, peed in outhouses, chamber pots, or back behind the barn when necessary.
When I'm sitting at my table having breakfast and reading, I can see this view. It's my favorite collection of the Wade Figurines. This is the Nursery Rhyme set and I don't have all of them but I keep looking. I want the gingerbread man, but he must have run pretty far away because you can't find him anywhere. Those old nursery rhymes were weird but they are a part of our cherished past, as well, aren't they?
And then I ran across this little family portrait from the olden days and had to put it up here. You won't know it if you are a 'yung-in' but this couple were the height of fashion and all that was glorious and most desirable, back in the day. Some of my cousin's still wear their hair this way.

The world needs it's fashion time warps.

And the world always needs another mis-heard lyric. I was bopping down the road the other day singing to my heart's content to an old song on the radio...

Why dont you build me a buttercup Baby
Just to let me down (Let me down)
And mess me around
And then worst of all (Worst of all)
You never call baby When you say you will
But I love you still...
And I'll make you happy
I'll be home
I'll be the Xylophone Waiting for you.

No comments: