Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Three Hour Skirt

If it wasn't for the courage of the Fearless Crew...
This skirt would be lost! A Three Hour Skirt...A Three Hour Skirt...



Back in the...um...70's...I wore skirts every day. I had every color, and every length and every fabric...but it was ALL THE SAME EXACT PATTERN. Because I LOVED this skirt pattern. I could whip up a skirt from this pattern in 45 minutes. I was awesome.

The skirt had a side-opening waistband. It opened over the pocket. It was the coolest thing! It kept me from having to have a pounds-enhancing elastic waist, or from having to screw around with a zipper. (I loathe zippers...who doesn't?)


I've been thinking about that skirt a lot, lately. I've lain in bed nights remembering how it went together. The pocket formation was tricksy. And it's been a long time since I've drafted anything other than a purse or some curtains without a pattern. But I wanted to give it a try...

Warning: Skirt has been folded to appear smaller than actual size.


It took 3 hours. Three hours of sweating blood, broken needles and seam ripping, but I finally got it!

And I LOVE it!!!!

So what if I look like I'm wrapped in a giant hunk of drapery which smells slightly like it's been in a fire in a single-wide trailer?

3 comments:

beyondpanic said...

How big was that sheet? Was it on the giant's bed from Jack and the Beanstalk? Seriously, you've made napkins, a skirt, an apron and you've dressed the entire Von Trapp family for their summer outing!!

Unknown said...

I totally love that skirt....the best of all worlds....no zipper, no elastic AND pockets!!!!!!

C'est l'abeille said...

...and I don't suppose you will share your pattern?