Thursday, August 06, 2009

Julia, Julia, Wherefore Art Thou, Julia?

I've been doing more to my bathroom...

It takes a lot of work to get that cluttered, decluttered look!

This old migrant worker orange-crate chest had to be painted off-white and taupe.

And I had to do all of it in between watching old Julia Child reruns on PBS. She was so funny, but I am not sure she knew she was funny! Maybe I mean clumsy? Her knives were never sharp enough, she was always dropping things, and she would forget to use a hot pad and grab something fresh out of the oven and burn herself.

You'd never get away with that in today's overly-scripted TV world! Even our 'reality TV' shows are nothing like reality!

There was a show that I'd seen before and always hoped to see again: it's the one where she devotes an entire episode to omelets. She makes omelet after omelet.

For an hour. Not for the faint-hearted!

She makes so many omelets in that one segment to make you think you could do it in your sleep. How hard could it be? She says anyone can do it and I believe her!

Of course it's much harder than it looks. I couldn't flip it by shaking the pan the way she showed, and I couldn't get the butter to sizzle but not burn to a brown foam before I got the egg poured. And I couldn't get the egg to just float on the top of the pan of butter the way she does it, either!

My first omelet was rubbery and that's an understatement. I think I overcooked it a tad.

But then I tried again. I think if I made maybe....oh....340,007 more of them, I'd get the hang of it! In the meantime, it was still 'good eating!'

Bon Apetit!

1 comment:

beyondpanic said...

That looks delicious! I've never attempted an omelette. Of course, I've never attempted many things in the kitchen like cookiing a live lobster or frying chicken or making my own spaghetti noodles. Not so adventurous in the kitchen!