Saturday, September 25, 2010

When Live Gives You Cabbage...

Well here I am with another picture of FOOD! What is up with that? Any Freudians out there want to take a stab at that?

Well, while you are concocting a mental evaluation of me, here is what I took a stab at this morning:


Cabbage Rolls!

Or at least that is what I called them. I had odds and ends and a mish-mosh of stuff in the fridge from when my lady's daughter let me empty out her fridge after she went into the 'pital with her broken hip. I had things like a half a pound of ground round, a half of a cabbage, a can of Pillsbury Bread Sticks, and a whole lot of mayo and cheese.

So here's the RECIPE for these utterly DELICIOUS if I DO SAY SO MYSELF Cabbage Rolls!

Brown and drain 1/2 lbs. Ground Round and 1/2 small Onion, diced.

In large frying pan, put finely diced cabbage with 1 cup water and 2 bouillion cubes. (I used beef this time but chicken or veggie would work just as well.)

Let the cabbage boil and simmer until tender. Add the burger/onion mix and stir it up with  1/2 cup Mayo, 1 slice swiss cheese, 1 slice medium cheddar cheese. (These cheeses were those packaged deli sandwich slices. Use whatever you have on hand.)

Cook just until the cheese is melted and the mayo is well blended.

Then, open up a can of whoop-ass. Oh no I mean open up a can of Pillsbury's Breadsticks. Don't separate them out into breadsticks, just lay the two pieces of  dough out and spoon the meat/cabbage mixture onto them. Carefully roll them up and you will see the lines for where to cut once they are baked. It's totally cool like that!

Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes until dough is golden brown. Lay on cutting board to cool before you slice them.

I carefully calculated all these ingredients and then divided by 12, since that is how many you would get when you cut them, and I came up with 216 Calories per roll.

I'll be having 2 of these for lunch with a cup of celery soup which basically has NO calories or so few that you don't have to care about it.  Bone Apple Tight!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

genius!
:-)

Queen Q